Monday, August 28, 2006

I Fought The Bees And The Bees Won

Oh boy. I was cleaning out my front step when I moved an old cardboard box I had stored under there during the winter. Well it was safe to say there wasnt much left of it so I hauled out out from under the step and much to my surprise the box was buzzing. As I moved away slowly bees started flying out of the box (they must have been homeless bees) and swarmed me. There was about 6 to 10 on me so I soaked myself with the hose and and ran into the house screaming like a little girl. Did I mention they really really scare me?
This morning I got up and went back outside to destroy the hive. I poured 5 buckets of warm, soapy water all over the box and killed some of them. Then I took some javex and poured that all over the box (they are going to be clean bees if they live) I got rid of a huge section of the box when I noticed that was only part of the nest. The damn things are living in the GROUND. Yup I saw them flying up thought a hole under my step the evil little bastards.
Well here is my problem. I cant take them on by myself and I really dont want to start pokeing at the hive because I will die if I get stung too many times and there are kids around next door. I called a local pest control service and they said they dont like to remove the hives if they do not bother anyone... Well they have set up a shantty town under my step and I dont want them to sting someone. They also told me depending on the size of the nest in the ground and how late in the bee season it is they could have to dig out all under my step to remove the whole hive. Unfortunatly bees are not like wasps and they will not die off in the winter so as the seasons go on, the nest will get bigger. There is also a huge sorce of pollon from an apple tree at the top of my yard. So i guess for now the bees have won.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home